Friday, February 8, 2013

Sweet & Sour Meatballs


Want something easy to make that you can eat as soon as you get in the door? Try my MacPherson family recipe for Sweet & Sour Meatballs.

Sweet & Sour Meatballs (a la Erin MacPherson aka Step-Mum)

What you'll need:
  • Slow-cooker or large pot with lid (like, really large)
  • 1-2 lbs Ground beef (I use Extra Lean)
  • 1 jar Heinz Chili Sauce (I assume that store brand chili sauce will work just as well)
  • 1 jar Grape jelly
  • 1 tablespoon mustard
  • 1 table spoon  BBQ sauce
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped onion 



Steps:
  • In a large bowl mix together beef, mustard, BBQ sauce and onion.
  • Get in there! Use your freshly washed hands to mix everything together until blended.
  • Wash hands again, and grab a tray or cutting board. Begin to shape mixture into meatballs (I got about 35 out of my most recent batch)
  • In your slow-cooker (or large pot) add the Heinz chili sauce and grape jelly. I usually grab a whisk and break up the jelly a bit, but it will eventually melt down.
  • Turn your slow-cooker on LOW and begin to carefully add your meatballs. Don't worry too much if the sauce doesn't cover everyone. As they cook, the meatballs shrink in size and everything will get covered in sauce.
  • I cook mine for about 7-9 hours.
  • Serve with rice and a dinner roll. You're done! Enjoy =)


So delicious. Mmmmm...

Meatballs are something super easy to prepare and you can leave it while you go to school or work. My dinner guests could smell them from down the hall in my apartment.


Tips:
  • Like spice? Use 1 tablespoon of paprika in the mixture to add some kick.
  • Use a tablespoon measuring spoon to roughly measure your meatballs. Form a ball, and if it fits nicely in the measuring spoon, then it's a good size.
  • Basmati rice is my favourite with this recipe. 



Send me your photos or post your comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10